07 January 2018

smoke

Back to cooking for myself:


Sometime during my early teens, I developed a dislike for peppers. I'm glad to say that this period is finally over. When Jeff was here, he made a chicken stir-fry with braised peppers, and it was those peppers that made me like peppers again. I'm honouring this change with a dish that features soft peppers, with the added bonus of using up some dried rolls that I have on hand. Luckily I found that Iceland sells a pack of just red and yellow peppers, but perhaps the slight bitterness of green peppers will be good here.


Bottom of cup smelled vaguely toasty...and a bit sugary. The smell from the lid had whiffs of dried stone fruit. Taste bitter, but not unpleasantly so. There might be a hint of smoke, or that could be confirmation bias since I read a review that said the tea reminded him of smoking a cigar. A mild astringency kicks in after swallowing the tea, along with a slight tingle that travels down my body. Overall it reminds me of the time in Li Jiang where I had a similarly aged Xia Guan raw (I'm certain that took a photo of this situation, can't find it anywhere grah). Aka I like this a lot and will buy a tong of it (surprisingly affordable) as soon as I figure out a good storage condition.

No comments: