17 January 2018

press

Decided to cook something more involved than soup to get over a slump:

masala eggs wrapped in flatbread with shredded cabbage

It was delicious, I wish I had the stomach room to eat another one.

The eggs will definitely be a staple, along with green onion fried eggs and tomatoes and eggs. It takes a bit longer than the Chinese eggs since I'm super slow at cutting vegetables into neat little dices. The bread tasted sweet despite not having any sugar in the recipe, which I credit to the fancy jersey milk that I used. It's insane how a bottle of that is 70p whereas a comparable bottle of whole milk (not sure what type of cow) in Toronto is $4. I was apprehensive at the bread's success since I only have volume measurements, and I did have to add a lot more flour than the recipe stated to arrive at a not too sticky dough, but in the end breads are pretty forgiving. I found that putting a lid on the pan to trap some steam produced a better texture.

And I do feel better after dedicating the morning to cooking. Also made poached pears with cinnamon (flavour pairing discovered via The Flavour Thesaurus) which was delicious as well. I'm so on board with fruit soups after my friend highly recommended cooking apples in the winter to avoid eating cold fruits.

No comments: