15 January 2018

foam

I finally started on making some pancakes! The delay is mostly because I was too lazy to pick up baking soda and baking powder whenever I'm at the grocery store, for some reason baking ingredients are on the opposite end of the store as produce.

But alas, Smitten Kitchen's sour cream pancakes:

I think they turned out well, considering that I haven't made pancakes for at least 3 years. But the credit goes to the clearly written recipe with both time estimate and visual cues. I was nervous while mixing the batter as it looked like way too much sour cream, and the mixture did not look like it wanted to come together with the beaten eggs; it'd be nice if Deb included photos of the batter (instead of the eggs in a bowl).

However, I don't think I'm a fan of this particular recipe. The pancakes turn out very...custard-y? Although to be honest I'm not sure what type of pancakes I prefer. Well that's why I have many other recipes to work through, including buckwheat crepes since I did find buckwheat four in my grocery store, it had pretty packaging to boost.

...

Also made texas caviar, which is really just a bean salad:

"just" a bean salad is doing this dis-service, it's a very tasty bean salad. This will definitely be in my lunch rotation once the weather warms up.

I'll admit my hubris in not wanting to use canned beans because I think I should be able to cook dried beans to textural perfection (ha...at least I can partially blame the dubious quality of grocery store beans). But my grocery store do not actually have dried black eye peas. In the end, it turns out to be good luck that I used canned beans because chalky beans would've made this horrendous.

No comments: