13 November 2017

tendrils

Originally I felt daunted at having to go without roasted vegetables for autumn and winter, but the constraint is helping me explore more braised vegetables:


recipe via Food and Wine, with beets, egg and sausage

To be honest I'm not a fan of the inclusion of fruits, the apple adds too much sweetness and the pear doesn't add to the dish. I also didn't know that the swede would take much longer than the carrot and parsnip, so the prolonged cooking time turned everything else too mushy to look good. Perhaps I'm not good at roasting root veg (aside from potatoes), but braised carrots taste sooo much better than roasted ones. Would like to try this Moroccan carrot recipe (with parsnips too) next and this sweet potato braise with milk too.

...

Bonus turmeric milk, because waking up late is best paired with nourishing breakfasts:
recipe via Persian Mama


Now I just need to wait until I have an empty jar, make a concentrate of the spices with fresh turmeric (Sainsbury both surprise and disappoint me with their stock) and dilute as needed.

No comments: