24 November 2017

stock

I'm glad that I'm in the UK since the voltage difference stops me from buying any kitchen appliances, that and no income which stops purchases of kitchen non-appliances.

But in the spirit of the many international shopping events in November, here's my wish list for when I finally have a kitchen to call my own:

  • Dutch ovens: perhaps a medium Le Crueset and a little matte black Staub dedicated to cooking lentils because this post made a huge impression on me. 
  • Salad spinner: because its really no fun wiping off water after shaking leafy greens to dry
  • Food processor: I can learn how to work butter into flour by hand, and perhaps I'm actually well suited for that job because my hands are perpetually cold, but I trust a food processor to do the same job better. I can also improve my knife skills by shredding a lot of vegetables for slaw, but so far I haven't done so...or even used my mandolin so perhaps I'll actually get around to making slaws if I can just grate it with a machine. Then I think of all the times when my mom cuts thin batons of carrots and radish for 凉拌三丝 and feel bad about not having her knife skills. Manual chopping is also my excuse for wanting a kicks usuba. But also hummus!
  • A giant heavy mortar and pestle: for grinding moist stuff, and a spice grinder for grinding dry stuff
  • Vitamix blender: I have serious doubts whether this is needed, but I also want green smoothies without paying $10. I wonder what's the payback period...
  • Kitchen Aid stand mixer: as therapeutic as creaming butter and sugar is, my arms have insufficient power to actually do a good job. I fully expect to see improvements in my baked goods. A pasta attachment would be a nice bonus. 
  • Ice cream maker: my cumulative desire for one increases each time I see David Lebovitz post a new recipe, and also this book.
  • Sous vide machine: for yoghurt making! perfect soft boiled eggs! steak! 
  • Saucier: I was a non-believer until I made something that actually required good stirring. 
  • Torch: creme brûlée 
and basically everything on Stella's baking equipment list, and and this bread baking list. I need to actively stop myself from reading baking blogs on my instapaper because I'm not a masochist. Good thing Bath has Bertinet, their bread and pastry keeps me sane while I'm away from my own oven. 

Plus lots of deli containers (and Cambros?) for storage, jars for pickling, and okay I'll stop now.

...

DREAM LOAFERS: BLACK, GREEN.

No comments: