22 November 2017

crepectations

^ stolen from one of the many posts I've consulted on crepe recipe. I also *just* realized that the 葱油饼 that my family makes (not the yeasted bread kind you'll get if you order at a restaurant) is practically a crepe batter. I've always been delegated with cooking them growing up. We usually eat them with congee and a couple of other dishes.

This post is most definitely about crepes, but also other pan-made goodies such as pancakes, and flatbreads. All the dough-y goodness I can make without an oven! Unbelievable that it took me 2 months to remember this entire category of food.

My hit list:
  • Regular crepes and buckwheat ones if I correctly recall seeing buckwheat flour at Sainsbury. I can also easily bring these to school as a snack. Filled with gooseberry jam ofc, ricotta & honey, stewed fruits, sweet condensed milk, duche de leche, salted caramel sauce, creme fraiche, mascarpone cheese, ham & cheese (and fried egg). Also finally an excuse to try out speculoos spread. 
  • Basically most of the pancakes from Smitten Kitchen's archives: fluffy buttermilk, apple, sour cream, corn, carrot cake, summer berries, winter squash. One more from Serious Eats: bacon, cheddar and corn. If I'm feeling keen, try to consolidate these into a master+modification pancake recipe. 
  • Flatbread. I thought about naan, but I figure a tandoor is too different from a non-stick pan. 
A realistic schedule would be...1 per every non-lecture week? That would last until about summer. A long but delicious project :) 

No comments: