17 August 2017

nibs

Going home means making desserts and drinking tea everyday. In fact I motivate myself to get out of bed every morning by making desserts first...and also for practical reasons of things needing time to chill.

This time I made chocolate creme caramel, which is the only "pudding" (I recently discovered that pudding is what desserts are called in the UK, but I'm using it here as a custard dessert) in Baking Chez Moi that doesn't require 2 additional egg yolks, and Smitten Kitchen's cocoa brownies, because I've been craving brownies but the sea salt caramel brownie has been sold out on the two most recent visits to Jimmy's.


Previously I've made mochi cupcakes (the easiest recipe I've ever baked), salted caramel chocolate mousse again, and a blueberry cornmeal cupcake from Baking Chez Moi that there was inadequate warning about using coarse cornmeal (the language was similar to "it'll be gritty" whereas it should really read "it'll be really fucking gritty, don't even think about it").

...

Been drinking the free sample of spring 2017 Alishan oolong I got from Floating Leaves Tea and holy it's delicious. Delicious in a...restrained way, is the most accurate description I can give. "Soft and floral" is how FLT describes it. Best brewed with a lower leaf to water ratio and flash steeps to accentuate the softness. I like this so much that I'd buy some every year.



The unintentional benefit from these tea sessions is that I finally found a use for this duanni teapot! It'll be dedicated to high mountain / greener rolled oolongs. I originally intended to use it for red teas, however the narrower opening makes it an absolute pain to remove the leaves afterwards. This is much less of a problem with rolled oolongs, and the dome shape allows the leaves to expand. So here is this little pot's blog debut, although an extremely shallow DoF photo is not the most descriptive. The bamboo motifs are what caught my attention.


SaveSaveSaveSave

No comments: