28 September 2015

fade into one more today

Preliminary words of excitement: Wolf's Rain is so goooood. It's everything I had hoped Ergo Proxy to be. Yoko Kanno is a god at anime soundtracks.

I accidentally spoiled the story for myself, thus saving the second half of the series for later in the week when I can curl up in bed for extended periods of time to process the feels.

Here's the ED, which I like for the exact same reasons as Champloo's ED. Except I like this animation sequence better, for the same reason as Katanagatari since it adapts to each episode. Oh the episode title screen is also reminiscent of Bebop, hnnnnng.
^that's a lot of praise.


PS. the lyrics remind me me this passage in The Unbearable Lightness of Being, which unfortunately I have not reread beyond the first 3 chapters after buying the book:
If every second of our lives recurs an infinite number of times, we are nailed to eternity as Jesus Christ was nailed to the cross. It is a terrifying prospect. In the world of eternal return the weight of unbearable responsibility lies heavy on every move we make. That is why Nietzsche called the idea of eternal return the heaviest of burdens (das schwerste Gewicht).
If eternal return is the heaviest of burdens, then our lives can stand out against it in all their splendid lightness.
But is heaviness truly deplorable and lightness splendid?
The heaviest of burdens crushes us, we sink beneath it, it pins us to the ground. But in the love poetry of every age, the woman longs to be weighed down by the man's body. The heaviest of burdens is therefore simultaneously an image of life's most intense fulfillment. The heavier the burden, the closer our lives come to the earth, the more real and truthful they become.
Conversely, the absolute absence of a burden causes man to be lighter than air, to soar into the heights, take leave of the earth and his earthly being, and become only half real, his movements as free as they are insignificant.
What then shall we choose? Weight or lightness?

PPS. a great joy of reading manga is finding an image that works beautifully as a wallpaper. This one is from Angel Densetsu, which I did not find particularly great. Each volume follows pretty much the same plot and the main character barely shows any growth over the entire series.

2 comments:

lac29 said...

Wolf's Rain got me thinking Wolf Children (Mamoru Hosoda who did The Girl Who Leapt Through Time and Summer Wars). If you've seen it be sure to check out Every Frame A Painting (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pdSKot0psNg). Tony Zhou, a film editor, does these really great film analyses and he covers a particularly well done lateral tracking shot in Wolf Children. Great blog btw, it's fun seeing your photography skills get a lot better hah (the tea stuff and Murakami musings are pretty interesting as well). Somehow ended up here via your /r/goodyearwelt post.

Weej said...

Ohh I didn't know the same guy did The Girl Who Leaped Through Time and Summer Wars, I enjoyed both of those. Will check Wold Children out & that yt channel :D
Haha thank you, I'm honestly surprised to see someone finding my tea posts interesting. Glad you found me!