06 March 2015

Small Gods

But of course, what the eagle does not realize is that it is participating in a very crude form of natural selection.
One day a tortoise will learn how to fly.

A friend recommended this author, Terry Prachett, because his writing is similar to Vonnegut's, whom we both love. I whole heatedly agree. Though Prachett makes things more obvious, whereas Vonnegut is very subtle. Take the ending of this book, it's a very clear cut "the good guy wins and all is well".

So this makes four authors that I follow: Prachett, Vonnegut, Murakami, and Dan Brown (which sadly is the only one out of the four that I've read the complete works of).

PSA: this book, or at least the version I got, has no individual chapters. Don't be like me and decide to go sleep after reading a chapter. That ended with finishing half the book and realizing it was 2am on a day that I had to wake up at 8 for. But that does goes to show how good of a story it is.


A few of my favourite quotations:
There are fewer metaphors around than people think.
(this isn't very clever out of context unfortunately).

Time is a drug. Too many of it kills you.

"And a lever of infinite length and, um, an immovable place to stand, said Legibus, drying himself off.
"What you see is what I got, sir. Pots and general household items, but a bit short on axiomatic mechanisms.

"But is this all true?" said Brutha.
Didactylos shrugged. "Could be. Cloud be. We are here and it is now. The way I see it, after that, everything tends towards guesswork.'

That was the trouble with last nights. They were always followed by this mornings.

Men should die for lies. But the truth is too precious to die for.

No comments: