- Instead of glass, it uses ETFE (ethyl tetrafluoroethylene) which is lighter by magnitudes and has better thermal properties.
- The bubble shapes are actually very regular, but appears random.
- The steel structural members were generated via algorithm, allowing major changes to be implemented within a week.
- The double layered facade and large thermal mass of pool water & surrounding concrete passively heats/cools most of the interior space. For areas that need active cooling, cold air is supplied directly to spectator seats taking advantage of stratification.
- Shape is culturally significant and is in dialog with the Bird's Nest (typing the second part of the sentence really reminds of the Roman Forum).
Now I really hope I get asked what my favourite building is during my interview.