27 December 2013

2014 reading list

Whee finally got the library books that I put a hold on! Hopefully I'll be able to finish everything before break ends. Aka less Ni no Kuni (27 familiars away! But I'm being stubborn about tokos) and more reading.
 Food and philosophy (y), you might remember me mentioned Alain de Botton here and here.

Related,  here is the way too ambitious reading list for the upcoming year, partially crowdsourced from facebook friends. I'm betting on completing most of it during the summer months, so please ffxv don't come out until afterwards e_e"

Fiction
  • The Accursed - Joyce Carol Oates
  • More Murakami
  • Whatever I haven't yet read from Vonnegut
  • Perhaps some classic sci-fi?
  • Brave New World
  • Metamorphosis  - Franz Kafka (rec'd by gr.12 English teacher, ahu's awesome)
  • Anna Karenina - Leo Tolstoy (I've had it on my shelf for YEARS)
  • The Gourmet - Muriel Barbery (I feel as if I did read this but can't find a record of it)
  • Paradise Lost - John Milton (someday...)
  • Then We Came To The End-Joshua Ferris
  • Green Grass Running Water
  • Snow Queen
  • The Five People You Meet in Heaven
  • The Glass Castle
  • East of Eden
  • Perfume
  • Mephisto 
  • Something by Malcolm Galdwell 
  • The Time Machine - H.G. Wells (this falls under classic sci-fi I guess)
Non-fiction
  • This explains Everything - John Brockman
  • On Looking - Alexandre Horowitz
  • Zen and The Art of Motorcycle Maintenance  
  •  The discovery of the Future - H.G. Wells
  • Cooked - Michael Pollan
  • GEB (I don't plan on finishing it, just want to just farther than my last attempt, it really doesn't help that I have zero music knowledge and barely any formal logic knowledge) 
  • Letters of Note
Cookbook section (these are more for personal reference and there's actually way more, I just don't feel like digging through archives):
  • Land of Plenty -  Fuchsia Dunlop (best Chinese cookbook in English imo)
  • Vegetable Literacy - Deborah Madison (trying to eat less meat)
  • Little Jars, Big Flavour and Mastering Fermentation (gots to get going on preserving those bounty from the garden)
  • Mastering the Art of French Cooking (gift to parents, but I'll steal it for reference sometimes)
  • More by Alice Walters

No comments: