07 November 2013

expectations

Now that I finally caught up to the end of 40 Days of Dating.
(spoilers below)

...
...
...

Not that the additional spacing helped since screen resolutions are so high now. Anyways.

I actually didn't know if they were going to stay together or break up throughout the 40 days. It's very difficult to articulate why I was so on the fence. On one hand, their struggles suggest that it will lead to a successful resolution, kind of how a hero faces trials and is rewarded at the end. On the other hand, their problems were pretty fundamental and it's a hard determine whether it's worth trying to resolve.
But then again I guess every relationship is like that. There's parts you like, and parts that you don't.

Was surprised at the speed in which things turned for the worse though. It's scary to think that on the surface, everything can seem to be converging at a solution, whereas a tiny perturbation can destroy it. It's always some little thing that otherwise would be insignificant.

Their last post reminds me a lot of how Honey and Clover ends. The whole idea of a relationship that didn't work out still being a valuable experience, and brings you hope about what the future holds.
Tim says in his entry:
In mythology, once an adventure is over and the reward has been secured, the hero or heroine usually leaves the “special world” to go back to the world where he or she first began. The final test for the hero is to realize what they’re bringing back to the old world, literally or metaphorically. They have lived to tell their story, and to inform society. That gives me a lot of solace. While I do feel heartbroken right now, I feel a tremendous amount of hope for my future.
Okay too much H&C feels coming up.

No comments: