27 July 2013

barrows

Day trip to the Stonehenge and Salisbury today!

They're quite far away from Exeter actually, coach ride took bit more than 2 hours. Good time to catch up on some sleep :) Glad I perfected the skill of sleeping on moving vehicles through gritaly.


Quite magnificent ;D
Though it's smaller than I thought, guess I just had high expectations. The audio guide was very helpful, explained many aspects of the structure. Interesting topics were:
  • Type of stone: bluestone is actually blue! with white specks too, but only if you split it open
  • Construction methods: 1/3 of the stone is actually buried underground, and woodworking joints were used to secure the rocks together)
  • Mythology: many involve Merlin, one involves aliens, but all relate to the stones being flown here from Ireland...
Also saw the wool blanket that my mom bought for me when she was here haha. They have different patterns now. Were also really temped by posters of the stonehenge with various astronomical events (eg. comets),  but was deterred by the steep pricing and risk of it being bent in my suitcase.

Afternoon was spent in Salisbury.
Originally wanted to have lunch at Market Inn, but they were full with a private function. Was suggested by the manager to head a few doors down instead. Forgot the name of the pub, but they had a great soup:


The wooden board in which the food was presented on is gorgeous. Gotta get myself on of those later on in life.
Other culinary delights purchased included clotted cream and blackcurrant ice cream (yummm) and a variety of fudge to bring back as souvenirs.

The main attraction of the city was the Cathedral though. Also the best preserved original copy of the Magna Carta is here too.


Religious structures are always the prettiest (y). Though now that I've seen the Vatican, no other church can really impress me.

But sunsets amaze me no matter how many times I see them. Luckily the sun shines right into my window everyday, to me awe and then annoyance.

No comments: