28 June 2013

Slaughterhouse-Five

I confess, I really do not understand this book.
From Amazon:
Slaughterhous-Five is one of the world's great anti-war books. Centering on the infamous fire-bombing of Dresden, Billy Pilgrim's odyssey through time reflects the mythic journey of our own fractured lives as we search for meaning in what we are afraid to know.
I don't see how it's an antiwar book aside from that it describes the terrors that happened. I also didn't figure out what the meaning in what we're afraid to know... It's like I'm eating the rind of a watermelon instead of the flesh underneath. Thus, I feel inadequately prepared to write a post about it. Someone please read it and explain to me "orz

There are two cool quotations that I noted though:
And i asked myself about the present: how wide it was, how deep it was, how much was mine to keep

I wake to sleep, and take my waking slow.
I feel my fate in what i cannot fear.
I learn by going where i have to go.

No comments: