06 February 2013

algae

So true to my words, once ESP kicks in, all sign of leisure activity on the internet disappears (with the exception of browsing through Jetpens).

But more importantly I've just been majorly slacking off this semester. Really don't want to hermit in my room and do work @_@ In fact I've probably spent less than 2 waking hours in my own room...
Sighh, "shoulda woulda coulda" will soon be applicable to this situation.


ANYWAYS.
Been meaning to make a quick update on the Sustainable Engineering Association's conference last Saturday. The speakers and panelists were alright, some really funny ones, others not so much. A memorable line was spoken by a UofT professor, who was trying to explain the difficulty of ceasing our dependence on fossil fuels through an analogy:
How hard it is to get off a drug really depends on how good the drug is. And this drug [fossil fuels] is really, really good. 
How he came up with the analogy on the spot is beyond me.

Aside from the content of the conference, I made the 2 following observations:
  1. The default expression of most people is a frown, or at least the corners of their mouth is turned downwards.
  2. The majority of the delegates at the conference really, really, sucked at asking questions. A specific incidence involved this guy asking a rather short question, and then following that with 2 minutes worth of rambling on what he thought the speaker might return as an answer.
    Though I'm not any better myself. I wanted to pose a question to the first speaker, but ended up wasting the entire questioning period rephrasing the question in my head that I missed the chance to actually ask. So at least the rest of them had the courage to actually open their mouth xD
Overall it was a good use of a Saturday. Bonus points for a trip to Bulk Barn afterwards (I am forever thankful to my Shad roomie for introducing me), I now have enough clodhoppers to last the semester :D

No comments: