18 August 2012

selling price

The blue skies today reminded me that I still need to post an overview of my China vacation. How so? Because such blue skies do not exist in China, high levels of smog makes it impossible for a clear blue sky to exist even on a sunny day.

Some other obvious difference between Canada and China:
  • Amount of people (and consequently cars). I can actually walk down a small road without having cars parked on all sides of it. Also jay walking is a lot safer here. 
  • Taxes. It just makes sense for taxes to be included in the price of the item, what you see should be what you pay.
  • Humidity levels. While it's pretty hot under the direct sun here, even the worst heat waves are rather bearable in the shade. Not so much in China, humidity will make you feel like you were sweating buckets even in the low 30s.
  • Public transportation. TTC sucks, relatively and absolutely. HK metro stations are HUGE, as in spanning several large blocks. Signage are more detailed and ticketing system is a lot better (esp. octopus cards, love them). Taxis are a viable (read: cheap) method of getting around too (just not in BeiJing, due to the difficulty of hailing one "orz). 
  • Sasa and 7-Eleven (this is local to HK). There's one on every block, sometimes more than one on every block. Sooo convenient! Really should have bought another eyeliner.
  • (courtesy of Alex) Canadians smile in photos.
While I complained alooot about the weather (and therefore the lack of sight seeing), I did eat lots and shop lots :]

I was surprised to find that in ChengDu, department store clothing are really expensive. Shirts normally are priced in the three digits (RMB, of course)! Kids clothing are especially expensive, my little cousin was gifted a $900 dress e_e"

Unfortunately, the humidity completely killed my appetite. Don't think I've ever finished a meal while eating out, all the delicious uneaten food ;A;  I also severely underestimated the filling-ness of sweet drinks, one milk tea at 5 and I won't be hungry till 9.


It was also nice to see my relatives again, especially my cousins *u*

My elder cousin qualifies as one of the nicest people I've ever met (up there at Grace level). Ever since we were young, she'd let me take first pick at the lego pieces that I wanted to play with. This trip, she bussed all the way from her campus to the Great Wall to show us around. I didn't really appreciate this gesture until on the way back, when she was still waiting to get on the bus after we've arrived back in BeiJing city by car.

My younger cousin is hilarious xD She has so many funny stories about her that my aunt would take hours calling my mom about them every single week. One highlight that my aunt told me was about the boys in her class. They're in 5th grade and yet so...progressive? (durr not the most accurate word). The boys are planning to have a confession party after their class' graduation ceremony next year. Upon hearing about this, all the parents freaked out, but finally devised a plan to take a photo of any successful confessions for remembrance. My cousin, on the other hand, is pretty innocent and naive. She immediately defriends anyone that flirts with her on this online QQ game that she plays xD

Other random highlights include watching the Olympics opening ceremony live with my grandparents and my dad's amazement at my aunt's haggling skills. He firmly told me to shop with my aunt more often after hearing about this extremely cheap pair of shoes that I bought haha.

No comments: