22 June 2012

foresight

Since everyone else is in the midst of course selection stress, I figured I would plot out my upper year courses as well. The result after going through APSC course calendar:


I feel intimidated just looking at that.
There's surprisingly little math courses, but I'm in civil so it's not actually unexpected. Second year has the fullest load, though with courses that interest me. Third year, on the other hand, is a mix of like (municipal) and dislikes (geotechnical & water). Then again, I'm likely to be totally wrong and end up enjoying those courses, hopefully. Forth year was a pain to choose for, 3 years of nearly no electives and suddenly I have to cram all my minor courses in. Really unsure about Fusion (especially this one, since upper year nsci students also take this e_e") and Nuclear, I have pretty much no foundation in those courses.
Pfft, and I thought I would be able to do a minor in physics. No way in hell I could fit those courses in @_@ Did have enough for a certificate in Preventative Engineering (opps, misspelling in the spreadsheet), though I don't quite know what it is. Initially wanted to do the Global certificate instead, but again couldn't fit the courses in.

With the spreadsheet done, I suffered a brief panic stemming from all the doubts that comes with any sort of planning. It boils down to whether I should be filling my electives with courses that interest me, or ones that are of use. While the two criteria are not mutually exclusive in principle, in this case it's physics (for free electives) and unrelated social science courses (for HSS electives) vs. courses that will get me a minor and certificates. It's not sacrificing interest for an expensive piece of paper either, since I do like the minor/certificate courses...it's more like leveling up secondary roles vs primary ones (woah, acurate ffxiii analogy haha). In efforts to rationalize my decision, I won't have room to take the higher level physics courses (eg. Introduction to High Energy Physics *u*) anyways.
Annnd I felt that the debate in my head is going no where and decided to blankly stare down from my balcony instead. Perks of living up high~ Will save this for times when I can't fall asleep.

In other news, got my student card! And I look normal in the picture, won't have to awkwardly cover the photo corner with my thumb for 5 years whoo!

2 comments:

Rui said...

Take the ones that go towards a minor/certificate and sit in on the Physics courses :)

perkhetive said...

WHO ACTUALLY DOES THIS LOL WHAT THE.....