30 October 2011

post secondary

Went to UofT campus day with a pretty packed schedule, came home with a dilemma.

Chemical or Civil?

If I pick chemical, I would minor in sustainable energy and then pursue a graduate degree in nuclear engineering (or some other energy/industrial related field. Process? Pharmaceuticals?) If I choose civil, I would lean more towards the business side (minor in engineering business or get an MBA) and work as a sustainability consultant (specializing in urban planning? Or do restoration work on heritage sites, but that's less realistic). It wouldn't be hard to work as a consultant with a chemical degree, and I can focus on the facilities of a nuclear plant if I decide on civil.

Also not the end of the world if I don't choose the right one, first year courses are pretty much the same for all of engineering, so switching majors won't be toooooo hard. 

Advantages of Chemical:
  • More theoretical / closer to fundamental sciences.
  • More job security
  • Higher pay (industrial / energy sectors)
  • Broader range of job opportunities / more specializations. (Though civil has a lot too)
  • Courses sound more fun learning about concrete/steel.
Disadvantages of Chemical:
  • If I do choose to work in industrial / energy sector, won't likely to be located in a major city. 
  • Probably more competitive. This is solely based on the fact that the chemical presentation was located in a bigger room. As well, my chem mark is currently my lowest, I'll still get in, but omg it's gonna look bad "orz

Advantages of Civil:
  • More prepared, I did think this is what I wanted to do for 4 years. 
  • Pretty buildings ;_;
  • Get to face a wider range of problems. 
  • Can also have good job security/benefits if working for the government. 
Disadvantages of Civil:
  • If not working for the government, job opportunities tied to construction tends which is tied to the economy. Whereas energy is always needed. 
  • If working as consultant, will have to be good at dealing with people e_e
K gonna leave these here, revisit in December and make a decision then. Who knows what could happen in that span on time.

No comments: