02 September 2011

Researcher1

The last day of internship started off beautifully with a seemingly molten sun peaking over the horizon.
Going to miss watching the sunrise every morning.

The day was a perfectly normal day, going through resumes on Monster and digging through LinkedIn for the darn lead roles. Been working on those roles for well over a week and I can swear that I've gone through almost every civil engineer with mining experience in North America. Alas I still couldn't find a good fit for the position.

Although the tasks I do aren't the most exciting, I did learn soooo much about resume writing. It pains me so much having to read through and extract information from badly formatted and worded resumes. Please don't be one of those people, I have to read through them, but your hiring manager will just toss it right out.
So as a reminder to us all, here are what you should never ever do.
  • Not stating what you are within the first few lines. Never should anyone have to figure out what your profession/job title is. I'd even put it in close proximity to my name.
  • Not having a 'Summary of Qualifications'. Cannot stress enough about having keywords that match the job description. It's likely that the HR personnel have a) a program that filters by keywords and b)hundreds of applications that s/he needs to quickly determine if one is a good fit or not.  If anything, this shows that you carefully looked over the job posting and personalized your resume for it.
  • Not formatting. There's really no excuse for this, there's millions of downloadable templates for word. 
  • (ties in with the above) Long paragraphs of text. No one wants to, and so will not, read that. I personally find the best combination if you have a lot to say is to have a sentence or two describing what you role was/what the project was about, followed by specific accomplishments in point form.
  • Irrelevant experiences. But don't have long missing periods of time either. Let's use an example that I see often: a professional immigrant spent a few years doing odd jobs while getting his/her license in Canada. A good solution that I've seen for these cases is to first have a section listing ALL of your experiences, but with only title, place of employment, and year. Following that is the section with the actual details of what you did/etc. for those relevant experiences.
  • Using empty words, aka filler sentences that really says nothing. It's a waste of time and space, which are precious commodities.
A final lesson that I learned is that offices and TTCs are freakin cold. Another intern and I were in full autumn wear and still feeling the chills. A pashima is the most useful item ever.

No comments: