14 August 2011

"busy busy busy"

Two down on my list of five books suggested from Shad. Of the three remaining, one is about material science, another about changing the world, and the last about how right brained people will dominate the top jobs.

But for now, Kurt Vonnegut's Cat's Cradle and Player Piano (links to their wiki page):


Two things that I really like about both books, first is that...ugh how to describe, I'm so bad at articulating my thoughts. You know how some books are describe as "sucking the reader in"? I felt that these two stories pulled me up on a cloud and I floated through their universe. ...I come up with random analogies that I hope is an accurate representation of what I actually think/feel. Gots to work on the transfer of thoughts to words.
Anyways, second is because the endings are realistic (appears to be a common theme in books that I like xD). Guess they could count as happy endings as the character comes to a realization or acceptance of their situation, although it might be far less than ideal. "It's (what you get out of) the journey that counts not the outcomeee"

Here's an interesting analysis (at least to those who had Giardine for English) of Player Piano. It's covers everything we love in class: the hero journey, Freud, character in the book reflecting the author (Catcher in the Rye), etc. Also, the analysis mentions how the main character constantly questions his motives for wanting to rebel against the system, which is the main reason why I like the book so much. Although it was obvious that the character would rebel, the process in which Vonnegut makes the character struggle and doubt keeps the plot suspenseful, and of course, realistic. Too much manga with protagonists that are absolute in their belief/resolve xD

Lastly, I leave you the opening quotation from Cat's Cradle, a line from the book's made up religion:
Nothing in this book is true.
'Live by the foma* that make you brave and kind and healthy and happy.’
The Books of Bokonon.
1:5

*Harmless untruths


1 comment:

melody said...

cats cradle was great
giardine e_e