16 August 2010

brunch: fridge clean up

Since I'm away for a week of vacation next week (missing both Janice's week back AND Grace's birthday T_T), I decided to start using up the scrap veggies laying around in the fridge.


Sorry for the bad photo, DSLR ran outta juice from attempt meteor shooting, so I had to use my compact. Tried my best in photoshop to fix it up.

Scrap Veggie Soup (with rice)
serves 3-4
This is just a general template adapted from Spring Vegetable Soup by Jamie Oliver, but just throw in whatever you have leftover.
Aromatic veggies (standard is onion, celery, and carrots. I used one of each)
Leafy veggies (I used 4 leaves of napa cabbage and a handful of spinach)
Other veggies (tomatoes, amount depending on your personal preference, I used 1 large tomato)
Grain (original recipe called for beans, I used cooked rice. Pasta and other lentils would work as well)
Chicken stock

Chop up the aromatic veggies into bite size pieces, leafy veggies (except spinach) into strips, tomatoes into quarters or eighth.
Heat some oil and cook the aromatic veggies until almost done (carrots are soft and onions are a little brown).
While the aromatic veggies are cooking, heat the stock until boiling. Pour onto the veggies once then are done.
Add in the tomatoes, leafy veggies (except spinach), and grain (except cooked rice).Cook for an additional 5-10minutes.
Turn off the heat and add in the spinach and cooked rice. Wait a few minutes, season and serve.
one pot dishes are love <3

...
...
...
I planned to make a post about the meteor shower, but with no pictures and only one sighting by me (company saw many more ;_;), decided not to (plus laziness).

That is....jupiter with a 1min shutter speed and no tripod ;D

No comments: